About Dr. St. Geme
The death of Joseph W. St. Geme, Jr., MD, in 1986, removed from American pediatrics a leader with vision and selfless dedication to the ideal of excellence. His concern for the patient and the future of health care was well known. Certainly he was a leader in the forums addressing issues concerning the future of pediatric education and research. It seemed appropriate, therefore, to honor his memory in a manner that would remind present and future generations of pediatricians that one individual can make a difference, and all should try, when the health care of children is at stake.
The member societies of the FOPO established an endowment fund for what is now the Joseph W. St. Geme, Jr. Leadership Award. Dr. St. Geme’s stature in pediatrics was reflected by his meaningful participation in all facets of pediatrics as demonstrated by the sponsorship of this award by the FOPO member organizations.
2022 St. Geme Award Winner
Pediatrician Dr. Fernando Mendoza, MD, MPH, is named the 2022 recipient of the Joseph W. St. Geme, Jr. Leadership Award by the Federation of Pediatric Organizations (FOPO) – click here for the press release.
Immediate Past Winner
Frederick P. Rivara, MD, MPH (2021)
Click here for Dr. Rivara’s press release.
- Sam Katz, MD – 1988
- Robert Haggerty, MD – 1989
- Frank Oski, MD – 1990
- Lewis Barness, MD – 1991
- Morris Green, MD – 1992
- Abraham Rudolph, MD – 1993
- Vincent Fulginiti, MD – 1994
- Ralph Feigin, MD – 1995
- Jimmy Simon, MD – 1996
- Errol Alden, MD – 1997
- Catherine DeAngelis, MD – 1998
- James Stockman, MD – 1999
- Evan Charney, MD – 2000
- Russell Chesney, MD – 2001
- Walter Tunnessen, MD – 2002
- Thomas Boat, MD – 2003
- Myron Genel, MD – 2004
- Robert Kelch, MD – 2005
- Carol Berkowitz, MD – 2006
- Richard Behrman, MD – 2007
- Douglas Jones, MD – 2008
- Kenneth Roberts, MD – 2009
- Stephen Ludwig, MD – 2010
- George Lister, MD – 2011
- Gail McGuinness, MD – 2012
- Renee Jenkins, MD – 2013
- Lewis First, MD – 2014
- Barry Zuckerman, MD – 2015
- David Kendall Stevenson, MD – 2016
- Carol Carraccio, MD – 2017
- Mark A. Schuster, MD, PhD, FAAP – 2018
- F. Bruder Stapleton, MD – 2019
- Joseph St. Geme, III, MD – 2020
- Frederick P. Rivara – 2021
Criteria for the selection of the Joseph W. St. Geme, Jr., MD Leadership Award recipient:
- The individual must be a pediatrician who is perceived as a role model for others to emulate, as a clinician, an educator, and/or an investigator.
- The individual must be a leader who has “created a future” for pediatrics and for children and has played an active role in one or more organizations sponsoring this award.
- The individual should preferably have a record of broad sustained contributions to pediatrics that have had or will have a major impact on child health.
- The individual must be currently active in pediatrics. *what defines “active” is at the discretion of each of the 7 organizations.
- The individual can be retired member of any of the pediatric organizations sponsoring this award.
- The individual must not be an active FOPO Board member. Full board list: https://fopo.org/leadership/